Purpose and assistance
The Kentucky Career Center - Cumberlands is working to facilitate LEAP (Linking Employment to Activities Pre-Release) programs in our region. The purpose of the pre-release program is to successfully bring those with felonies or misdemeanors, or who have extremely low income, into the workforce. This program can offer assistance with things like job search, resumes, interview skills, transportation, and even interview clothing.
LEAP also aims to inform and encourage employers to look at this underutilized workforce resource and discover incentives available to businesses that participate. For example, employers can take advantage of the Work Opportunity Tax Credit of up to $2400 for ex-felons hired within a year of release. The Kentucky Career Center seeks to identify employers hiring criteria, identify receptive employers for our candidates, and provide retention support.
Participating employers in our 13 county region
Microsoft Excel file Download (updated November 2019)
Employment makes a difference
The advantages of finding employment for ex-offenders may seem obvious, but here are a few points to consider:
- The ex-offender population exists in our region (more than 650,000 people are released from state and federal prisons each year)
- Ex-offender employment can turn a tax burden into a taxpayer
- Ex-offenders who work are 1/3 less likely to re-offend
- Employment stabilizes families and creates positive role models for children
- Lives are transformed through the dignity of work
To learn more about the LEAP program, discuss developing the program in your county, or see how your business could benefit from this workforce pool contact:
Director of Workforce Development