Unemployment Insurance Benefits Expanded Due to COVID-19 to include:
INDIVIDUALS TYPICALLY NOT COVERED BY UI
(List includes but is not limited to these groups)
- Independent contractors
- Freelance workers
- Substitute teachers
- Childcare workers employed by religious-affiliated organizations and non-profits
LEAVING EMPLOYMENT BECAUSE OF COVID-19
- Reasonable risk of exposure (self-quarantine)
- Caring for a family member affected by COVID-19
Note: If you have already applied for UI benefits since March 6 do not reapply. Your claim will be processed.
TO FILE YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE CLAIM
Step 1: Visit kcc.ky.gov
Step 2: Click File Claim
Kentuckians can call for Kentucky Career Center services including Unemployment Insurance questions. Lake Cumberland Region filers with questions should call Somerset: 606-677-4124. Claimants can also call the UI Help Line at 502-564-2900 if you have questions.
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING TO FILE YOUR CLAIM:
- Social Security OR Alien Registration Number
- Date of Birth
- Complete Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Valid Email Address
Employer Information (for the last 18 months)
- Business/Company Name
- Business/Company Mailing Address
- Business/Company Phone Number
- Dates of Employment
- Reason you are no longer working for each employer
Other Information You May Need
- If you worked in other states: List of states in which you worked.
- If you worked for a Temporary Agency: Name/Address of Temporary Agency.
- If you worked for the Federal Government: Agency Name; Component name; Copy of your Standard Form (SF8, SF50).
- If you were in the US Military: Copy of your DD214 Member 4.
FILE UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE CLAIMS ON THESE DAYS
In order to serve you better, Unemployment Insurance claims will be filed on a specific day of the week based on the first letter of your last name.
- Sunday: A - D
- Monday: E - H
- Tuesday: I - L
- Wednesday: M - P
- Thursday: Q - U
- Friday: V - Z
- Friday: If you missed your day
THE UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE PROCESS IN KENTUCKY
Day 1: You complete the initial application online at kcc.ky.gov or by phone at: 502-875-0442 Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., ET
Day 2: The Office of Unemployment Insurance will determine if you have a valid claim.
Day 3-12: You will receive a letter that states the amount of your payment.
Day 13: If there are no disqualifying factors, we will generate the payment by either direct deposit or a debit card within 2 to 5 days.
Day 28: If you continue to be unemployed you can request your second benefit payment online at kcc.ky.gov or calling 877-369-5984.
ACCESS YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE ACCOUNT SUMMARY INFORMATION
Information that can be viewed on your account summary page:
- Status of Your Claim
- Weekly Benefit Amount
- Maximum Benefit Amount
- Balance Remaining on Your Claim
- Current Payment Method Selection
- Last Week Claimed, Processed Date and Amount
- Next Benefit Request Date
- Any Overpayment Balances
- Record of Payment History
Information on the Next Steps if Your Identity Verification Failed
1. Read the information and select “I Agree”
2. Enter SSN and PIN
3. Scroll down to the My Account section
4. Click Account Summary
To file your UI claim, visit kcc.ky.gov